Leder Mackley, K., Jewitt, C. and Price, S. (2020) The Remediating Effects of Bio-Sensing in the Context of Parental Touch Practice. Information, Communication & Society.
Jewitt, C., Leder Mackley, K. and Price, S. (forthcoming, accepted) Digitally Mediated Parent-Baby Touch and the Formation of Subjectivities. Visual Communication.
Mitchell, V., Thomas Wilson, G., Leder Mackley, K., Jewitt, C., Golmohammadi, L., Atkinson, D. & Price, S. (in press) Digital Touch: Towards a Novel User-Experience Design Pedagogy. Design and Technology Education: an International Journal.
Barker, N., Jewitt, C. and Price, S. (2020) Becoming in Touch with Industrial Robots through Ethnography, HRI ’20: Companion of the 2020 ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction, March 2020
Jewitt, C., Leder Mackley, K. & Price, S. (2020) Digital touch for Remote Personal Communication: an Emergent Sociotechnical Imaginary. New Media and Society. DOI:10.1007/978-3-030-24564-1
Jewitt, C., Price, S., Leder Mackley, K., Giannoutsou, N., Atkinson, D. (2020) Interdisciplinary Insights for Digital Touch Communication, Springer Nature.
Golmohammadi, L. (2020) Researching loneliness in a pandemic: touch and touch-technologies along with its methodological challenges. International Journal of Social Research Methodology blog.
Mitchell, V., Wilson, G. T., Leder Mackley, K., Jewitt, C., Golmohammadi, L., Atkinson, D., Price, S. (2019) Digital Touch Experiences: Educating the Designers. Proceedings of the CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems extended abstracts. Glasgow, Scotland UK — May 04 – 09, 2019.
Jewitt, C. and Price, S. (2019) Family Touch Practices and Learning Experiences in the Museum, The Senses and Society Journal.
Jewitt, C., Leder Mackley, K., Atkinson, D. and Price, S. (2019) Rapid Prototyping as a Method for Social Science: Researching Digital Touch. In L. Pauwels and D. Mannay (eds.) Sage Handbook of Visual Research Methods, 2nd ed.
Jewitt, C. and Leder Mackley, K. (2018) Methodological Dialogues across Multimodality and Sensory Ethnography: Digital Touch Communication, Qualitative Research, Online First: https://doi.org/10.1177/1468794118796992.
Price, S., Leder Mackley, K., Jewitt, C., Huisman, G., Petreca, B., Berthouze, N., Prattichizzo, D., and Hayward, V. (2018) Reshaping Touch Communication: an Interdisciplinary Research Agenda, CHI EA ‘18 Extended Abstracts of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, W17.
Invisible Flock with IN-TOUCH (2018), Remote Contact Exhibition Booklet.
Jewitt, C. (2017) A Multimodal Perspective on Touch, Communication and Learning. In F. Serafini, E. Gee (eds.), Remixing Multiliteracies: Theory and Practice from New London to New Times. New York: Teachers College Press.
Jewitt, C. (2017) Towards a Multimodal Social Semiotic Agenda for Touch. In S. Zhao, E. Djonov, A. Bjorkvall and M. Boerils (eds.) Advancing Multimodal and Critical Discourse Studies: Interdisciplinary Research. Routledge: London, 79-93.
Haptic Technology Opens the Door for Mediated Touch, interview for HaptX, 22/10/2020
How Digital Touch Can Help People Connect, film produced by UCL Institute of Education, 15/05/2019
Communicating by Touch: the Final Frontier?, film produced by UCL Institute of Education, 18/10/2018
Can Technology Help Dementia Patients? , The Guardian Podcast ‘Chips with Everything’, 08/06/2018
Remote Contact, part of UCL Festival of Culture, Bloomsbury Gallery, London, 04/06/2019 – 09/06/2019.
Connecting, Communicating, Feeling Through Digital Touch (stall and talk), as part of the It’s All Academic Festival, UCL Main Campus, 05/10/2019
Designing Digital Touch Toolkit, in collaboration with Loughborough University, 2019: The Designing Digital Touch Toolkits toolkit is a research based resource to support engagement with the complexities of working with touch across the Double Diamond model stages of Design Thinking. It helps the user to reflect on types of touch, what touch might mean and feel like in different contexts, as well as bodily sensations and social and cultural boundaries. There are three types of cards for each design stage: FILTERS (questions to help participants reflect on their own and others’ experiences), WILD CARDS (deliberately abstract prompts for thought or action), and ACTIVITIES (more structured exercises which require some time).
‘Mapping Loneliness and Touch‘ – workshop at the Wellcome Collection, as part of the Open Platform series, 27/11/19
Knowing, sensing, ‘feeling’ through video – talk and workshop at the Volkskundemuseum, Vienna, as part of the ‘Stadt-Land-Kind’ project (Akademie der Bildenden Kuenste, Vienna), 18/10/18
Reshaping Touch Communication: An Interdisciplinary Research Agenda, CHI’18, Montréal, Canada, 21/04/2018: This one-day workshop brought together an interdisciplinary group of researchers and designers to examine new forms of touch communication enabled by digital touch technologies, address critical questions and challenges for HCI, reshape future research agendas, and build a cross disciplinary community that fosters subsequent collaboration.
See our co-organiser Gijs Huisman’s Thinking Piece for his post-workshop reflections.
Conference papers and seminars
- Growing new bodies and sensory experiences (in conversation with Tamar Makin), Encounters on the shop Floor Event, Victoria and Albert Museum Research Institute VARI, 26/06/2019.
- IN-TOUCH: Digital touch communication at Approaches to Multimodal Digital Environments: from theories to practices (A-MODE), Keynote, University of “Tor Vergata”, Rome, 21/06/2019.
- Emerging Sociotechnical Imaginaries of Digital Touch for Remote Personal Communication, Key note, Approaches to Digital Discourse Analysis 2, ADDA2,
University of Turku Communications, Turku, Finland, 23/05/2019.
- Digital Touch Experiences: Educating the Designers, CHI’19, Glasgow, Scotland, 04/05/2019 – 09/05/2019.
- Methodological Dialogues across multimodality and multisensory approaches, Keynote, BAAL – Reading beyond words: Approaches to multimodality in the media, Queen Mary University, London, 12/04/2019.
- Researching Digital Touch, presentation at symposium on ‘Material engagement, hand-making, and well-being’, Kebble College, Oxford University, Oxford, 01/04/2019.
- Loneliness and Digital Touch Communication, Intellectual Life, UCL Knowledge Lab, London, 28/03/2019.
- Reimagining Touch, guest lecture, Hum Lab, Umea University Sweden, Department of Creative Studies & Hum Lab, 20/03/2019 – 22/03/2019.
- Biometrics: The Transformation of the Human Condition, Roundtable discussion, THECUBE and FACT as part of “Cognitive Sensations seminar series”, 19/03/2019.
- InTouch: Digital Touch Communication, SCHILab (Sussex Computer Human Interaction Lab), University of Sussex, 13/03/2019.
- IN-TOUCH: digital touch communication, MA User Experience Design, Loughborough University, Loughborough, 12/03/2019.
- Researching Touch Futures, Keynote, International Food Science and Technology (IFST) Sensory Science Group event: Changing Perspectives in Sensory Science – Past, Present, and Future, University of Reading, Reading, 07/03/2019.
- Designing Digital Touch Toolkit, Intellectual Life, UCL Knowledge Lab, London, 07/03/19..
- IN-TOUCH: digital touch communication, BA Industrial Design and Technology, Loughborough University, Loughborough, 06/02/2019.
- The Association of Fashion and Textile Courses (FTC) Futurescan 4: Valuing Practice, University of Bolton, Bolton, 24/01/2019.
- Imaginations of digital touch: continuities and change, MeCCSA 2019, University of Stirling, Scotland, 10/01/19.
- IN-TOUCH group presentation at UCL Plasticity Lab (Tamar Makin), Queen Anne’s SQ London, 18/12/2018.
- Multimodal and multisensorial approaches to materiality ‘value’ as a material, social and economic infrastructure symposium’, The Barlett, UCL, London, 13/11/2018.
- Futures of Digital Touch Make Digital Right (Public lecture series), Bozar centre (artistic and cultural venue in Brussels and Belgium), Invited by Consigliere culturale – Ambasciata d’Italia, Brussels, 23/09/2018.
- Making Sense of Baby: Parenting, technology and the politics of touch, Symposium: The politics of Sensation, International Sociological Association, Toronto, Canada, 17/07/2018.
- Researching Digitally Mediated Touch Communication, Uncommon Senses II, Sensory Lab, Concordia University, Montréal, Canada, 4/05/2018.
- Illuminating the Social and Sensory in Digital Touch Communication, Reshaping Touch Communication: An Interdisciplinary Research Agenda, CHI’18, Montréal, Canada, 21/04/2018.
- Personal Remote Touch Communication (Keynote), Hold me Now. Feel and Touch in an Unreal World, The Studium Generale Rietveld Academie, Amsterdam, 22/03/2018.
- Digital Touch Communication, Communication and Media Research Institute, Westminster University, London, 15/03/2018.
- Multimodality and Digital Touch, University of East Anglia, Norwich 21/02/2018.
- Touch for Garment Making: Interfaces, Emotions, Humans and Things. CELebration, the Connected Everyday Lab, TU Delft, the Netherlands, 05/02/2018.
- Doing Multimodal Data – Doing Multimodal Analysis: Touch as a Case Study, Discourse Seminar at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, 30/11/2017 to 1/12/2017.
- Researching and Re-imagining Digital Touch, Faculty of Visual Communication, Royal College of Art, London, 9/11/2017.
- Digital Research Methods for Use in Health Contexts, Great Ormond Street Hospital, 9/10/2017.
- Innovating Digital Methods, Ego-Media ERC Project seminar, Digital Humanities, Kings college, London, 26/04/17.
- Digital Lives: New ways of Working and Living, EPSRC Balance Network interdisciplinary workshop, Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge, 10/01/2017.
- In-Touch: Feeling our Way (Keynote), 8th International Conference on Multimodality, University of Cape Town, South Africa, 07/12/2016.
- Boundary Crossing Methods: Arts and Social Sciences, LETStudio Seminar, Gothenburg, 27/10/2016.